How to Change WordPress Front Page
When you install WordPress, you get two kinds of content, posts, and pages. You can select which post or page to use as a front page. In this article, I will show you how to change the WordPress front page, but also how to create a new page for the list of your posts. Finally, you’ll learn how to create a top menu with links to both these pages.
Important: If you’re just starting and don’t have your blog yet, stop right here and read How to Build a WordPress Blog where I explain exactly what to do to get you up and running. Don’t worry, this article will wait here for you 🙂
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links in this post are affiliate links for products I use and love. This means if you click on such a link and take action (like subscribe, or make a purchase), I may receive some coffee money at no extra cost to you. This helps me creating more content free of charge to you. And, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!
How can I change the front page?
Changing the WordPress front page is fairly easy and it takes only a few clicks.
- Log in to the administration of your WordPress site (yourdomain.com/wp-admin).
- Select Settings -> Reading from the left panel.
- In the “Your homepage displays” section, select the option labeled “A static page (select below)”.
- Choose a page from the drop-down menu labeled “Homepage”.
- Scroll down and click the blue “Save Changes” button.
- Refresh your website to see the new front page.
How can I change the posts page?
Since you’ve changed the front page, you can no longer access your posts, but there’s an easy fix to that.
- Select Pages -> Add New from the left panel.
- Name the new page “Blog posts”.
- Click the tiny “plus” icon on the right and select “Widgets” from the drop-down menu.
- In the “Widgets” section, select “Latest Posts”.
- Wait until WordPress loads your posts and then click the Publish button at the top-right corner.
- Once your Blog posts page is published, return to the Dashboard.
How can I create a menu?
Now that you have your page with the list of posts created, you need to make it easily accessible. That’s what the menu is for. Let’s create a top menu with “Home” and “Blog” links.
- Select Appearance -> Menus from the left panel.
- Change the menu name to “Top Menu” and click to drop-down menu below.
- Change the navigation label to “Home”. This is what will appear on the menu as a clickable button.
- Click the dropdown menu below and change the navigation label to “Blog”.
- Scroll down and hit the “Create Menu” button.
- Make sure that the “Primary Menu” option is selected.
- Visit the site to check your newly created menu.
- When you click the “Home” button, you’ll see your WordPress front page.
- When you click the “Blog” button, you’ll see the list of blog posts.
What theme are you using?
Do you like the theme I’m using in this short tutorial? Well, me too :-)
It’s GeneratePress Theme and you can get it for free directly from the list of themes available in WordPress. Here’s a quick post that will help you with installation and setup: How to Install GeneratePress Theme.
Liked the Article?
Smart Profit School offers a lot more! Join more than 40,000 students and get ahead of the class!
10 Apr 2020